Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Shorts Standing Tall

Great Short Films I Stumbled upon

Woke up last Night at 3 am from a horrific nightmare involving my boss... again

Anyway that's besides the point..

I had recently hooked up my new Tivo HD and wanted to see if it had recorded something to put me back to sleep :)
It turns out it was recording these short films being shown on a showcase on IFC.
I have never been a fan of shorts. But the ones I ended up seeing really turned me into a fan, a high speed one at that.

The first one was called "Underground"

Details can be found on IMDB.

Underground

It was exploring human nature and how we perceive certain situations based on our own fears and notions. The viewers, in this case, were subjects and how we perceive the situation being shown is the purpose of this short experiment. It simply involves two guys following a girl riding on an empty subway train. What happens next will help you judge yourself and your perceptions.

It used a simple quote as a baseline and then launched from there.

"We don't see things as they are. We see things as we are."

Watch it and let me know what you think. I don't want to analyse it too much for the fear of giving it away.

The film is being shown on IFC and they have repeat dates. I have listed the dates at the end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The second film was called "Disposal"

IMDB link:

Disposal

This is again a character study of Human nature or a certain aspect of it in 10 minutes. It shows how people react in a naive fashion during times of unexpected crisis and the repercussions of actions taken to resolve the crisis. A couple in the city accidentally hit and kill a homeless man, while a father and son are hunting in the jungle. The two couples don't know each other, but accidents will cause their lives to intertwine and change forever.

fascinating!!!!

I think shorts are a great way to explore human emotions and the way we think. You can make a point very quickly and then post mortem all you want, based on it. In Feature length films, there is usually just too much going on to really have a good character study done. Not that it hasn't been done. But, I just think shorts can really bring out the point trying to be made to a diverse and wider audience.

Anyways, Comments are always welcome, and if you cant catch the films or don't have IFC, I have them recorded on Tivo, so I can help out.


IFC Short Films Showcase Schedule:

Thu, May. 15 at 12:35 PM EDT

Sun, May. 18 at 06:55 AM EDT

Thu, May. 29 at 06:00 AM EDT

Tue, Jun. 3 at 08:50 AM EDT

Fri, Jun. 6 at 05:30 AM EDT

Thu, Jun. 12 at 12:30 PM EDT

Enjoy...

No comments: